This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [WWWDocs] Deprecate support for non-thumb ARM devices
- From: "Richard Earnshaw (lists)" <Richard dot Earnshaw at arm dot com>
- To: gcc-patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Cc: Ramana Radhakrishnan <Ramana dot Radhakrishnan at arm dot com>, Kyrylo Tkachov <Kyrylo dot Tkachov at arm dot com>, "nickc at redhat dot com" <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 14:03:58 +0000
- Subject: Re: [WWWDocs] Deprecate support for non-thumb ARM devices
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <56CDB728 dot 1050300 at arm dot com>
On 24/02/16 13:59, Richard Earnshaw (lists) wrote:
> After discussion with the ARM port maintainers we have decided that now
> is probably the right time to deprecate support for versions of the ARM
> Architecture prior to ARMv4t. This will allow us to clean up some of
> the code base going forwards by being able to assume:
> - Presence of half-word data accesses
> - Presence of Thumb and therefore of interworking instructions.
> This patch records the status change in the GCC-6 release notes.
> I propose to commit this patch later this week.
> Index: htdocs/gcc-6/changes.html
> RCS file: /cvs/gcc/wwwdocs/htdocs/gcc-6/changes.html,v
> retrieving revision 1.61
> diff -u -r1.61 changes.html
> --- htdocs/gcc-6/changes.html 19 Feb 2016 05:00:54 -0000 1.61
> +++ htdocs/gcc-6/changes.html 19 Feb 2016 14:47:31 -0000
> @@ -340,7 +340,14 @@
> <h3 id="arm">ARM</h3>
> - The arm port now supports target attributes and pragmas. Please
> + Support for revisions of the ARM architecture prior to ARMv4t has
> + been deprecated and will be removed in a future GCC release.
> + This affects ARM6, ARM7 (but not ARM7TDMI), ARM8, StrongARM, and
> + Faraday fa526 and fa626 devices, which do not have support for
> + the Thumb execution state.
> + </li>
> + <li>
> + The ARM port now supports target attributes and pragmas. Please
> refer to the <a href="https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/ARM-Function-Attributes.html#ARM-Function-Attributes">
> documentation</a> for details of available attributes and
> pragmas as well as usage instructions.