Re: Help about how to bootstrap gcc with local version glibc other than system one

On 02/22/2016 11:52 AM, Bin.Cheng wrote:
Hi,
I still don't quite follow this method.  If I pop up chroot
environment with new glibc, it's still possible that the new glibc
isn't compatible with the default gcc in chroot.  Won't this a
chicken-egg problem because we want to build our gcc against new glibc
in the first place?
If there's a fundamental incompatibility, then you have to bootstrap, similar to bootstrapping a new architecture. That's rarely the case though.

Most of the time it's sufficient to use mock or similar tools in this manner to build a new glibc or new gcc. You can then repeat using the just built glibc or gcc to catch any secondary effects.

jeff