This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Linux-abi group
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Florian Weimer <fw at deneb dot enyo dot de>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, llvm-commits <llvm-commits at lists dot llvm dot org>, cfe-commits <cfe-commits at lists dot llvm dot org>
- Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 23:08:54 +0000
- Subject: Re: Linux-abi group
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMe9rOqPzub4Qr95JT9_U9FBtbME4Xb2ZTgqPrN-Umf70vWGbQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <87io1z2e2i dot fsf at mid dot deneb dot enyo dot de> <CAMe9rOqxZ6NDTc9pKJRpA--A_+moVNSZXyvZ0mkebx0X+LD=_g at mail dot gmail dot com> <87egcn2diz dot fsf at mid dot deneb dot enyo dot de> <CAMe9rOr6jj0ax0B=9dFpuMYCu=HJaf9a3g2-NGnvNV2ZWTqwXg at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Mon, 8 Feb 2016, H.J. Lu wrote:
> >> I was referring to program properties:
> >> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/generic-abi/fyIXttIsYc8
> > This looks more like an ELF topic to me, not really ABI.
> > Please discuss this on a GNU project list because it affects the
> > entire GNU project.
> gABI is ELF and affects all users, including GNU project, of gABI.
> Linux-abi discusses Linux-specific extensions to gABI. It is for tools
> like compilers, assembler, linker and run-time. It isn't appropriate
> for any GNU project list.
I find it extremely unlikely that many well-thought-out extensions would
be appropriate for GNU systems using the Linux kernel but not for GNU
systems using Hurd or other kernels - the only such cases would be for
things very closely related to kernel functionality. There is a strong
presumption that toolchain configuration should apply to all GNU systems
rather than being specific to GNU/Linux without good reason.
Joseph S. Myers