This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: RFA: Add GCC Runtime Library Exception to include/plugin-api.h
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: David Edelsohn <dje dot gcc at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 16:49:43 -0800
- Subject: Re: RFA: Add GCC Runtime Library Exception to include/plugin-api.h
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMe9rOq=vbmW5T6B9iQLFYi7F=y4jcY0C-kg2fHfvTPS7P6Vfw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAJimCsHJexzhN=QVPfmO+s09QrwR80GZxkcpRh9oHR8hh7pFog at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOrC9k1s4taoTp20HM+=jTVAGXoz78CG5B0rkNO_TZTUdg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAGWvny=7s5zm+4tCAbwOHc47PUDQ7sUJGQu+pteRbP+3S3Qm-Q at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 4:23 PM, David Edelsohn <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 5:03 PM, H.J. Lu <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Cary Coutant <email@example.com> wrote:
>>>> include/plugin-api.h defines an ABI between linker and compiler,
>>>> which can be used to implement linker plug-in by any compilers.
>>>> I'd like to add GCC Runtime Library Exception to include/plugin-api.h
>>>> so that the linker plug-in can have non-GPL licenses.
>>> This is OK with me.
>> Here is a patch. OK for trunk?
> You have not explained why this actually is needed and only the FSF
> can agree to license changes.
Here is an example of linker plugin without using GCC:
I'd like to put such plugin under a non-GPL license.
As I understand, Cary, as the contributor of include/plugin-api.h,
may release it under a different license. Of course, changing license
of include/plugin-api.h in GCC source tree may need FSF approval.
Should we ask FSF to get an approval?