Re: Question about how to fix PR69052

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Bernd Schmidt <bernds_cb1@t-online.de> wrote:
> On 01/25/2016 08:51 PM, Jeff Law wrote:
>>
>> No, the combiner works within a basic block only.  There was a group, I
>> believe in Moscow, that worked on a cross-block combiner.  It was
>> discussed at the Cauldron in California a few years back.  I don't know
>> if they did any further work on those ideas.
>>
>> Is the issue here not knowing when the loop invariant can be forward
>> propagated back into the memory reference -- and for complex RTL like
>> you cited, you ultimately determine that no it can't be propagated and
>> thus increase its invariant cost?
>

> Is this just a pass ordering problem? What happens if you do loop-invariant
> after combine?
Yes, I moved whole loop pass (also the pass_web) after combine and it
worked.  A combine pass before loop-invariant can fix this problem.
Below passes are currently between loop transform and combine:

      NEXT_PASS (pass_web);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_rtl_cprop);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_cse2);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_rtl_dse1);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_rtl_fwprop_addr);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_inc_dec);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_initialize_regs);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_ud_rtl_dce);

I think pass_web needs to be after loop transform because it's used to
handle unrolled register live range.
pass_fwprop_addr and pass_inc_dec should stay where they are now.  And
putting pass_inc_dec before loop unroll may be helpful to keep more
auto increment addressing mode chosen by IVO.
We should not need to duplicate pass_initialize_regs.
So what's about pass_rtl_cprop, cse2 and dse1.  Should these pass be
duplicated after loop transform thus loop transformed code can be
cleaned up?

Thanks,
bin