Re: SH runtime switchable atomics - proposed design

On Wed, 2016-01-20 at 20:22 -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 08:08:18AM +0900, Oleg Endo wrote:
> > On Tue, 2016-01-19 at 15:28 -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > > I've been working on the new version of runtime-selected SH
> > > atomics
> > > for musl, and I think what I've got might be appropriate for
> > > GCC's
> > > generated atomics too. I know Oleg was not very excited about
> > > doing
> > > this on the gcc side from a cost/benefit perspective
> >
> > I am just not keen on making this the default atomic model for SH.
> > If you have a system built around this atomic model and want to add
> > it
> > to GCC, please send in patches.  Just a few comments below...
>
> OK, thanks for clarifying. I don't have a patch yet but I might do
> one
> later. Sato-san's work on adding direct cas.l support showed me how
> this part of the gcc code seems to work, so it shouldn't be too hard
> to hook it up, but there are ABI design considerations still if we
> decide to go this way.
>
> > > Inputs:
> > > - R0: Memory address to operate on
> > > - R1: Address of implementation function, loaded from a global
> > > - R2: Comparison value
> > > - R3: Value to set on success
> > >
> > > Outputs:
> > > - R3: Old value read, ==R2 iff cas succeeded.
> >
> > > Preserved: R0, R2.
> > >
> > > Clobbered: R1, PR, T.
> >
> > The T bit is obviously the result of the cas operation.  So you
> > could
> > use it as an output directly instead of the implicit R3 == R2
> > condition.
>
> I didn't want to impose a requirement that all backends leave the
> result in the T bit. At the C source level, I think most software
> uses
> old==expected as the test for success; this is the API
> __sync_val_compare_and_swap provides, and what people used to x86
> would naturally do anyway.
>
> > > This call (performed from __asm__ for musl, but gcc would do it
> > > as SH
> > > "SFUNC") is highly compact/convenient for inlining because it
> > > avoids
> > > clobbering any of the argument registers that are likely to
> > > already
> > > be
> > > in use by the caller, and it preserves the important values that
> > > are
> > > likely to be reused after the cas operation.
> > >
> > > For J2 and future J4, the function pointer just points to:
> > >
> > > 	rts
> > > 	 cas.l r2,r3,@r0
> > >

> > > and the only costs vs an inline cas.l are loading the address of
> > > the
> > > function (done in the caller; involves GOT access) and clobbering
> > > R1
> > > and PR.
> > >
> > > This is still a draft design and the version in musl is subject
> > > change at any time since it's not a public API/ABI, but I think
> [...]

I think it will be easier to discuss this with a patch at hand.  Right
now I can't really imagine what exactly you want to put where.

The exact asm code of the sequences/functions and the ABI is up to you.
 You will know what works best for your system.

Of course we can add the resulting necessary support functions to
libgcc (which get compiled-in only if the compiler is configured to use
the new atomic model).

Cheers,
Oleg