This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: A question about .debug_macro sections and split dwarf
- From: Siva Chandra <sivachandra at google dot com>
- To: Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, jakub at redhat dot com, Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 14:38:41 -0800
- Subject: Re: A question about .debug_macro sections and split dwarf
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAGyQ6gypV7pzo5Znq8NzyW3w+4eCAo4wG9afHoXuV1YnqYOX6w at mail dot gmail dot com> <CALehDX7QAGnxftcmXt=3_veU6bRdMFiUGwistsOELwnAC7g+HA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAGyQ6gweHjgayGaWPZM9VHS7qNAD4cjd7Hkz=zMxbDZo5H-=uw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CALehDX7LfXWvJZKbVZ0mtkdhMa3JJ5yaNWvvSJk2ZE506Wu9gw at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Eric Christopher <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 2:20 PM Siva Chandra <email@example.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Eric Christopher <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>> > Does the object file without -gsplit-dwarf have multiple sections? If
>> > so,
>> > that should narrow it down for you, otherwise it's really curious.
>> Without -gsplit-dwarf, there is only one .debug_macro section.
> Well, that's fascinating. My guess is something in objcopy is mangling.
I did some digging last week. It seemed to me that each block of macro
entries pointed to by a DW_MACRO_transparent_include (when NOT using
-gsplit-dwarf) was getting its own .debug_macro section when using
>> > On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 10:33 AM Siva Chandra <email@example.com>
>> > wrote:
>> >> Hello,
>> >> When I compile my cc file with "-g3 -gsplit-dwarf", the resulting .dwo
>> >> file has multiple .debug_macro.dwo sections. Is that expected? I did
>> >> not find anything in the proposal which explains this:
>> >> http://www.dwarfstd.org/ShowIssue.php?issue=110722.1
>> >> Thanks,
>> >> Siva Chandra