This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: basic asm and memory clobbers - Proposed solution
- From: David Wohlferd <dw at LimeGreenSocks dot com>
- To: Paul_Koning at Dell dot com
- Cc: bschmidt at redhat dot com, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 17:16:10 -0800
- Subject: Re: basic asm and memory clobbers - Proposed solution
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <56552209 dot 1020306 at LimeGreenSocks dot com> <56592801 dot 9010606 at LimeGreenSocks dot com> <565DC5F4 dot 6080804 at foss dot arm dot com> <565E1E37 dot 9080609 at LimeGreenSocks dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1512012323160 dot 12604 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <565E6862 dot 7070401 at redhat dot com> <566B4BA1 dot 8000509 at LimeGreenSocks dot com> <566BEE35 dot 6070804 at redhat dot com> <HE1PR07MB0905876DB6CE2AEBB578DBB6E4EC0 at HE1PR07MB0905 dot eurprd07 dot prod dot outlook dot com> <566E68BF dot 50403 at LimeGreenSocks dot com> <20151214081032 dot GB32573 at gate dot crashing dot org> <56700CF5 dot 4090800 at redhat dot com> <A0C744BA-D77B-4F8A-8692-99D01A2A495F at dell dot com>
On 12/15/2015 12:42 PM, Paul_Koning@Dell.com wrote:
In the codebase for the product I work on, I see about 200 of them. Many of those are the likes of asm("sync") for MIPS, which definitely wants to be treated as if it were asm ("sync" : : : "memory").
That's right, I meant to ask you about this last time you mentioned this.
Now that you are aware that this is a problem, what do you intend to do
about it? Jeff is saying that this may not be fixed until at least v7,
so waiting for a compiler fix may take a while.
Will you be updating your source?
Are you just finding these with grep, or have you tried the
That's not counting the hundreds I see in gdb/stubs -- those are "outside a function" flavor.
Fortunately, these aren't a problem for memory or register clobbers.