This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Removing "Severity" from New Bug form
- From: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely dot gcc at gmail dot com>
- To: Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- Cc: "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, FrÃdÃric Buclin <LpSolit at netscape dot net>
- Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 13:16:22 +0000
- Subject: Re: Removing "Severity" from New Bug form
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAH6eHdSAgZZguvR7tYfE4P1AW1RVCuPq0zLRBhp68-_Dsf8awA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAFiYyc0wXU5rsJhA-gn=JztQ1DcBDD2eiLA5vNCi-k6MzJDYfQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
On 8 December 2015 at 12:42, Richard Biener <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Jonathan Wakely <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> I would really like to see the Severity field removed from the bug
>> entry form. A few people use it correctly to mark their bugs as
>> enhancements or trivial, but most users just set it to "blocker"
>> because they think it means "how important is this to you?". Obviously
>> everyone's bug is important to them, but that doesn't make it a GCC
>> release blocker.
>> If we have to keep it could we put a label next to it explaining what
>> it's for, and requesting users to engage brain before choosing
>> "critical" or "blocker" ?
> Dropping it is ok I think.
Yes, even for the valid "enhancement" cases a maintainer who triages
the report could set that easily enough.
Or we could just change it to choosing between two simple options:
> I'd rather have known-to-work exposed
> for people filing regressions.
> In reality we don't use severity at all - exposing important keywords
> like 'wrong-code' and 'rejects-valid' would be much more useful.
Yes, maybe checkboxes for them (which would add the relevant item to
the keywords field) would be nice.
> People also get Component wrong but it would be inconvenient
> to have it dropped. Maybe have an advanced bug reporting form
> and a simple one?
We already have a "Hide advanced fields" toggle, maybe we should just
flip the default setting for that.