Re: Removing "Severity" from New Bug form

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would really like to see the Severity field removed from the bug
> entry form. A few people use it correctly to mark their bugs as
> enhancements or trivial, but most users just set it to "blocker"
> because they think it means "how important is this to you?". Obviously
> everyone's bug is important to them, but that doesn't make it a GCC
> release blocker.
>
> If we have to keep it could we put a label next to it explaining what
> it's for, and requesting users to engage brain before choosing
> "critical" or "blocker" ?

Dropping it is ok I think.  I'd rather have known-to-work exposed
for people filing regressions.

In reality we don't use severity at all - exposing important keywords
like 'wrong-code' and 'rejects-valid' would be much more useful.

People also get Component wrong but it would be inconvenient
to have it dropped.  Maybe have an advanced bug reporting form
and a simple one?

Richard.