building gcc with macro support for gdb?

Is there any way to easily build a stage1 gcc with macro support for debugging?

I tried setting CFLAGS, and CXXFLAGS to specify "-O0 -g3" via the
command line before running configure, but that only includes those
flags for some of the compilation steps.

I was only successful after I manually edited the makefile to replace
"-g" with "-g3".