Re: AW: basic asm and memory clobbers - Proposed solution

On 11/27/2015 11:02 PM, Bernd Edlinger wrote:
Hi,

I just found this in the docs:

The compiler copies the assembler instructions in a basic @code{asm}
verbatim to the assembly language output file, without
processing dialects or any of the @samp{%} operators that are available with
extended @code{asm}. This results in minor differences between basic
@code{asm} strings and extended @code{asm} templates. For example, to refer to
registers you might use @samp{%eax} in basic @code{asm} and
@samp{%%eax} in extended @code{asm}.

So it might be good to warn about % in asm statements too, because changing
anything on the asm syntax can be is quite dangerous.

There are a few differences to be aware of between basic and extended, and yes that is one of them.

I'm putting together a "How to convert basic asm to extended asm" guide. Not quite sure where to put it yet. Doesn't really belong in the User Guide, but I worry no one would ever see it in the wiki.

And I wonder what the exact equivalence of asm("") is
in extended asm ("":::) or asm volatile ("":::) ?

From the docs: "asm statements that have no output operands, including asm goto statements, are implicitly volatile." In other words, those 2 are the same.

Well, I start to think that Jeff is right, and we should treat a asm ("") as if it
were asm volatile ("" ::: )

I believe Segher is already looking at this: https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2015-11/msg00196.html

but if the asm ("nonempty with optional %") we should
treat it as asm volatile ("nonempty with optional %%" ::: "memory").
Our docs should say that explicitly, and the implementation should follow that
direction.

Bernd.