This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: LLVM to get massive GPU support with Fortran
- From: Jack Howarth <howarth dot at dot gcc at gmail dot com>
- To: Andrew Pinski <pinskia at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Toon Moene <toon at moene dot org>, "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 17:32:41 -0500
- Subject: Re: LLVM to get massive GPU support with Fortran
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <56490F66 dot 40102 at netcologne dot de> <20151115235848 dot GA84793 at troutmask dot apl dot washington dot edu> <564A2B27 dot 4050606 at moene dot org> <CAJMcOU-ta8m3x_dXJPOpFfJ7a0cBUjE_+tdohD1KUWX-FnmC=A at mail dot gmail dot com> <564A485A dot 2040501 at moene dot org> <CAJMcOU9Z6eVT6Pu8=Gimo7o+mqYumFmOGW4SwamqfyVyRHUKFQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <564A4C3A dot 5030608 at moene dot org> <CAJMcOU9j210Zst=b=L5013NOUGRBzxaxO6AmPSHOPjgG+Xz55A at mail dot gmail dot com> <564A5410 dot 7040001 at moene dot org> <CA+=Sn1nHpE_QPMUh8dudbjfAkHuCDEDZq1u_-pDN18f-X3nmPg at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Andrew Pinski <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Toon Moene <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> On 11/16/2015 11:02 PM, Jack Howarth wrote:
>>> FYI, this posting has a bit more detail on the actual implementation...
>> That surely helps - thanks.
> Basically NVIDIA bought PGI and now is open source their fortran
> front-end. Nothing magical really.
> Basically NVIDIA is trying to have the "community" do more of their
> development for them.
> This is an anti-open/free source way of doing things.
Well, if Nvidia/PGI wanted to shift their fortran compiler to use llvm
for its GPU support, they were bound to open source it. The whole
model for llvm is based on vendors wanting to work within the open
source tree because of the pain involved in maintaining independent
forks based on llvm (due to the heavy upstream churn).
>> Toon Moene - e-mail: email@example.com - phone: +31 346 214290
>> Saturnushof 14, 3738 XG Maartensdijk, The Netherlands
>> At home: http://moene.org/~toon/; weather: http://moene.org/~hirlam/
>> Progress of GNU Fortran: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran#news