Re: What is guaranteed with the new numbering scheme of GCC releases ?

On 6 October 2015 at 20:32, Toon Moene wrote:
> All,
>
> One of my colleagues on the Fortran Standardization Committee asked me the
> following question:
>
> "People are still not too familiar with the new GCC numbering scheme. My
> impression is that 5.2 is just a maintenance update of 5.1.  However, they
> still want assurance that there are no call interface or module format
> changes between 5.1 and 5.2 so that libraries and modules built with 5.1
> (MPI, for example) will still work with 5.2.  Is that the case?"

5.1 -> 5.2 is *exactly* what would have been 4.10.0 -> 4.10.1 with the
old scheme.

i.e. similar in scope to the 4.9.0 -> 4.9.1 update.

> I went to https://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html#num_scheme for answering that
> question, but it is by far not explicit enough to answer it.
>
> Shouldn't we be documenting the shift in numbering schematics on a far more
> obvious location on our web site, and with more complete semantics ?

That info seems OK for the Development Plan page, the user-facing info is:

https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-5/
https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.9/
https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.8/

As can be seen there, "5.2 is a bug-fix release, containing fixes for
regressions in GCC 5.1 relative to previous releases of GCC." That's
exactly the same wording as was used for the 4.x releases.