does "assign_stack_local" from "function.h" automatically Do The Right Thing with debug information? [relates to the RTL-level if-conversion improvement project]

Dear all,

I have a prototype of a "New And Improved" RTL-level if-conversion, and it goes through "make check"
without any new regressions [on AMD64 GNU/Linux, Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS] and can pass the bootstrap
stage2-to-stage3 comparison [same platform] *_if_* I prevent the "bootstrap-debug" value for
BUILD_CONFIG from being automatically chosen, e.g. via "--with-build-config=bootstrap=time" during
configuration.  With the default "BUILD_CONFIG=bootstrap-debug", it fails at the comparison stage.
The stage0/system compiler is plain-vanilla GCC 5.2, compiled by myself [bootstrapped IIRC].
I have spot-checked manually that the file pairs of the comparison-mismatch object filenames are,
in fact, different for at least one such filename, using the "--preserve" option of "contrib/compare-debug".
In at least many [if not all] such pairs, the file size is actually different.

I wonder if "assign_stack_local" from "function.h" automatically Does The Right Thing with debug information?
Especially, does it cause the debug information, if any, for stack-frame size to be updated accordingly?
If not, then would switching to "assign_stack_temp" be very likely to solve the problem?