Why use "assign_stack_local" instead of using "assign_stack_temp", both from "function.h"? [relates to the RTL-level if-conversion improvement project]

Dear all,

What, if anything, is the reason I should be using "assign_stack_local" instead of using "assign_stack_temp",
both from "function.h"?  The stack slot in question doesn`t need to hold its value: it is being used for a scratchpad,
i.e. garbage data; basically, I just need an address for a big-enough-and-aligned-enough slot which I can safely
corrupt what`s in it.  It should be OK from my code`s POV if another part of the compiler causes a scratchpad
slot to be reused, even if it is reused in the same routine in a single execution on the target.

Regards,

Abe