This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Repository for the conversion machinery
- From: Richard Earnshaw <Richard dot Earnshaw at foss dot arm dot com>
- To: Michael Matz <matz at suse dot de>
- Cc: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus dot com>, Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>, DJ Delorie <dj at redhat dot com>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:24:01 +0100
- Subject: Re: Repository for the conversion machinery
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <55F98EF7 dot 4030401 at redhat dot com> <20150916170644 dot GA412 at redhat dot com> <xneghxlplr dot fsf at greed dot delorie dot com> <CAFiYyc0xegRpgj+60+d15eQGx3=GhVr2swvabKw6yY+DnaVoQQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150917104130 dot GB1161 at thyrsus dot com> <CAFiYyc1RaSOCB4K63ab+pMMg3XNZkQcu-SUY3OBF4fLe2f_YfQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150917111531 dot GE1161 at thyrsus dot com> <alpine dot LSU dot 2 dot 20 dot 1509171705210 dot 31674 at wotan dot suse dot de> <55FAE377 dot 9080101 at foss dot arm dot com> <alpine dot LSU dot 2 dot 20 dot 1509171805570 dot 31674 at wotan dot suse dot de>
On 17/09/15 17:08, Michael Matz wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2015, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>> None of this has any chance of working for any commits to the pre-egcs
>> sources. In those days there was no version control on the ChangeLog
>> My feeling is we could spend months ratholing on this particular problem
>> rather than making real progress on moving forward. If it will help to
>> move things forward, I'm happy to accept that for the purposes of
>> conversion we should just use 'committer id' and drop any attempt to
>> reconstruct 'author id' for each patch.
> I don't see why the problems with some ranges of commits should prevent us
> doing better for those ranges where there are no such problems. I thought
> reposurgeon (I haven't looked at it) had the ability to postprocess
> commits and dig out additional info, and assumed it would be more or less
> trivial to add such sed-greping.
Well if that's the case then someone ought to be able to produce a meta
file that could be supplied to Eric, that looked something like
For the entire repo. I'm sure if we had something like that, *and we
were happy that it were accurate enough*, then it would be
straight-forward enough to include it in the conversion process.
No, I'm not going to do that work; and personally, I don't think it's
worth holding up the switch to wait for that to be done.