This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Repository for the conversion machinery
- From: Michael Matz <matz at suse dot de>
- To: Richard Earnshaw <Richard dot Earnshaw at foss dot arm dot com>
- Cc: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus dot com>, Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>, DJ Delorie <dj at redhat dot com>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 18:08:37 +0200 (CEST)
- Subject: Re: Repository for the conversion machinery
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <55F98EF7 dot 4030401 at redhat dot com> <20150916170644 dot GA412 at redhat dot com> <xneghxlplr dot fsf at greed dot delorie dot com> <CAFiYyc0xegRpgj+60+d15eQGx3=GhVr2swvabKw6yY+DnaVoQQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150917104130 dot GB1161 at thyrsus dot com> <CAFiYyc1RaSOCB4K63ab+pMMg3XNZkQcu-SUY3OBF4fLe2f_YfQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150917111531 dot GE1161 at thyrsus dot com> <alpine dot LSU dot 2 dot 20 dot 1509171705210 dot 31674 at wotan dot suse dot de> <55FAE377 dot 9080101 at foss dot arm dot com>
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> None of this has any chance of working for any commits to the pre-egcs
> sources. In those days there was no version control on the ChangeLog
> My feeling is we could spend months ratholing on this particular problem
> rather than making real progress on moving forward. If it will help to
> move things forward, I'm happy to accept that for the purposes of
> conversion we should just use 'committer id' and drop any attempt to
> reconstruct 'author id' for each patch.
I don't see why the problems with some ranges of commits should prevent us
doing better for those ranges where there are no such problems. I thought
reposurgeon (I haven't looked at it) had the ability to postprocess
commits and dig out additional info, and assumed it would be more or less
trivial to add such sed-greping.