This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Repository for the conversion machinery
- From: Richard Earnshaw <Richard dot Earnshaw at foss dot arm dot com>
- To: Michael Matz <matz at suse dot de>, "Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus dot com>
- Cc: Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>, DJ Delorie <dj at redhat dot com>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 16:59:51 +0100
- Subject: Re: Repository for the conversion machinery
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <55F98EF7 dot 4030401 at redhat dot com> <20150916170644 dot GA412 at redhat dot com> <xneghxlplr dot fsf at greed dot delorie dot com> <CAFiYyc0xegRpgj+60+d15eQGx3=GhVr2swvabKw6yY+DnaVoQQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150917104130 dot GB1161 at thyrsus dot com> <CAFiYyc1RaSOCB4K63ab+pMMg3XNZkQcu-SUY3OBF4fLe2f_YfQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150917111531 dot GE1161 at thyrsus dot com> <alpine dot LSU dot 2 dot 20 dot 1509171705210 dot 31674 at wotan dot suse dot de>
On 17/09/15 16:15, Michael Matz wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2015, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>> All I can say is every time I've tried this it's been a nightmare, and
>> when you say "apart from CVS imported revisions" my hair stands on end.
>> And the GCC history is two and a half times the size of the next largest
>> repo I've tried this on.
>> If you want to try writing the program to do this data analysis, go
>> right ahead.
> A start would be:
> svn diff -c50004 | sed -ne \
> '/^+++.*ChangeLog/,/^Index/s/^+.*[0-9] *\([^0-9]*[(<].*@.*[)>]\).*$/\1/p'
> Sometimes (e.g. for some CVS imported commits) the commit to ChangeLog
> files was done in a different revision than the changes themself (it
> wasn't a very good CVS to subversion conversion), so for that the above
> doesn't find the address (it will be the revision before or after that
> touches ChangeLog, but no other files). But it's fairly reasonable for
> newer revisions. Might need adjustments for even different date or email
> address formats. Feeding it all revisions when you have extracted them
> already should give a resonable estimate for who the real author was.
None of this has any chance of working for any commits to the pre-egcs
sources. In those days there was no version control on the ChangeLog file.
My feeling is we could spend months ratholing on this particular problem
rather than making real progress on moving forward. If it will help to
move things forward, I'm happy to accept that for the purposes of
conversion we should just use 'committer id' and drop any attempt to
reconstruct 'author id' for each patch.