Re: dejagnu version update?

On September 16, 2015 7:57:03 PM GMT+02:00, Mike Stump <mikestump@comcast.net> wrote:
>On Sep 16, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Ramana Radhakrishnan
><ramana.radhakrishnan@foss.arm.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry about the obvious (possibly dumb) question.
>
>> Can't we just import a copy of dejagnu each year and install it as
>part of the source tree?
>
>TL;DR: No.
>
>We could, and indeed, some people do engineering that way.  We instead
>depend upon package managers, software updates and backwards
>compatibility to manage the issue.  This is generally speaking, a
>better way to do software. In the olden days, back before shared
>libraries, X11 was the straw that broke the camels back.

[Well some thus later had KGI, GGI and fresco (the interviews thing), but that's another story for sure ;) ]

Either way. Importing doesn't make sense at all.

Establishing and maintaining duplicated gcc_load_lib cascades don't either IMO. If folks feel maintaining them is less hazzle than forcing a new dejagnu then fine with me (although we do require pretty recent libs anyway and developers will usually likewise use rather recent binutils et al for obvious reasons).