Re: Git conversion: disposition of old branches and tags

On 09/16/2015 10:54 AM, Manuel LÃpez-IbÃÃez wrote:
On 16 September 2015 at 18:32, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
On 16 September 2015 at 17:20, Manuel LÃpez-IbÃÃez wrote:
My impression is that right now one can develop GCC with GIT or SVN (people
are submitting GIT patches all the time). After the conversion, only GIT
will be possible. Does this actually lower the entry barrier and will
attract contributors?

Yes, I think so. "The kids" these days all want to use git, not svn.
That's harder to do because you have to set up git *and* git-svn.

That must mean I'm not a kid anymore. How sad!

Now seriously, I admittedly have no idea how complex is to setup
git-svn. Couldn't we simplify this somehow?
Perhaps it could be improved, but I don't think to the point where it'd be a seamless integration. Ultimately where we want to be is a world where SVN is a dim memory. git-svn is just a crutch for those who have made the transition to git, but have to work on projects that are still stuck in SVN repositories.

This has already been discussed at length at the last 2 Cauldrons and a decision to migrate has been made. Continuing to rehash that decision isn't really productive.

What is productive is discussion on how to make that migration successful.

Jeff