This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Git conversion: disposition of old branches and tags
- From: Florian Weimer <fw at deneb dot enyo dot de>
- To: Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>
- Cc: "gcc\ at gnu dot org" <gcc at gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 19:09:29 +0200
- Subject: Re: Git conversion: disposition of old branches and tags
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <55F84AC9 dot 20501 at redhat dot com>
* Jason Merrill:
> There are lots of ancient branches and tags in the SVN repository that
> are no longer interesting, and it would be nice not to have them
> cluttering up the lists and default fetch set.
Just one minor comment: Due to the way Git branches work, this
decision can be deferred to some extent (existing clones will keep
renamed or removed branches if they were part of the initial clone).
> 1) Keep them at the same place.
So 1) is probably the best initial choice.
> 3) Delete them.
Unlike Subversion branch deletion, Git branch deletion is permanent,
so this might not be the best option.