Re: Git conversion: disposition of old branches and tags

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015, Jason Merrill wrote:

> There are lots of ancient branches and tags in the SVN repository that are no
> longer interesting, and it would be nice not to have them cluttering up the
> lists and default fetch set.
>
> The options I see for each branch or tag are:
> 1) Keep them at the same place.
> 2) Move them to a subdirectory like "dead", as was sometimes done in SVN.
> 3) Delete them.
> 4) Move them out of refs/{heads,tags}, perhaps into refs/namespaces/dead or
> refs/namespaces/archive.

I think putting things outside refs/heads and refs/tags is unduly
confusing and it's best to keep all the history in the default fetch set;
having large numbers of branches and tags is simply a consequence of
having a long-lived project.  That is, #1 or #2.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com