Re: incremental compiler project

On 09/04/2015 09:40 AM, David Kunsman wrote:
what do you think about the sub project in the wiki:

Parallel Compilation:

One approach is to make the front end multi-threaded. (I've pretty
much abandoned this idea. There are too many mutable tree fields,
making this a difficult project. Also, threads do not interact well
with fork, which is currently needed by the code generation approach.)
You should get in contact with David Malcolm as these issues are directly related to his JIT work.

This will entail removing most global variables, marking some with
__thread, and wrapping a few with locks.
Yes, but that's work that is already in progress. Right now David's got a big log and context switch in place, but we really want to drive down the amount of stuff in that context switch.

Jeff