Re: Acceptance criteria for the git conversion

Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> writes:

> On Tue, 1 Sep 2015, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>
>> As a trivial example of the possibilities, sometimes when I do conversions
>> I fix obvious comment typos. I generally have to edit the comment history
>> anyway
>> to tweak comments that don't have git-style summary lines into shape, so
>> fixing typos is not much additional work.
>
> With 227369 revisions I don't think adding git-style summary lines is
> really practical without some very reliable automation to match commits to
> corresponding gcc-patches messages (whose Subject: headers would be the
> natural choice for such summary lines)....

And even that wouldn't work, I believe: a considerable number of patches
are submitted in the context of some thread whose patch e.g. introduced
a regression or bootstrap failure, without changing the subject.  So,
unless you detect this case and make something up, the result is likely
to be confusing rather than helpful.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University