GCC and gender (was Re: 33 unknowns left)

On 08/26/2015 02:50 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

About Catherine Moore: One of the things that is quite noticeable
about this list is the number of apparently female contributors, which
while regrettably small in absolute terms is still rather more than
I'm used to seeing in a sample this size.

When I see a photo like this:

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCCGathering2011

it appears to me that women are statistically underrepresented in the GCC community, rather than the opposite.

This makes me curious.  Was any special effort made to attract female
hackers to the project? Is there a prevailing theory about why they
showed up in comparatively large numbers?

It would be interesting to know what, if any specific thing, was done
right here...

Speaking as a GCC hacker with two X chromosomes myself, I think I would be offended if I thought I were being recruited because of my gender instead of because I'm good at what I do.

-Sandra