Re: 33 unknowns left

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:
>
> > root = root <root>
>
> Hmmm.  root.  This was probably Danny Berlin logged into the root
> account on sourceware.

The root commits I see from October 2005 (implementing parts of the
CVS-to-SVN transition) are pretty definitely him, since he was in charge
of that transition.

Two of the three root commits then are to the /hooks directory.  That
directory should be omitted from the conversion (it doesn't make sense to
convert SVN hooks to git, any more than we converted the CVSROOT files to
SVN - Jason will be working on the git hooks needed).

At some point we need to work out the mapping for which subdirectories of
/branches are actual branches and which contain branches a level lower
down.  In general I expect that subdirectories containing a ChangeLog file
are branches and those that don't are not branches, but the list of those
that are not branches should be reviewed manually (premerge-fsf-branch at
least *is* a branch not a container, despite only containing a directory).
In general, we should have a public git repository somewhere with all the
configuration for the conversion, such as the author map and the
configuration for branches.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com