RE: Question about "instruction merge" pass when optimizing for size

DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com> writes:
> I've seen this on other targets too, sometimes so bad I write a quick
> target-specific "stupid move optimizer" pass to clean it up.
>
> A generic pass would be much harder, but very useful.

Robert (on cc) is currently attempting some improvements to the regrename
pass to try and propagate registers back from the destination of a move
in order that the move becomes a no-op. This is for a few cases we have
seen for MIPS. If successful that may clean up a small number of such
problems for all targets.

Thanks,
Matthew