This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Adding static-PIE support to binutils
- From: Rich Felker <dalias at libc dot org>
- To: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>, "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 00:38:34 -0400
- Subject: Re: Adding static-PIE support to binutils
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150624041847 dot GA26414 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <CAMe9rOoQCDXZK_LTCt81+WvtBLsnNbGDR10_aKe4s8D+-3Ehng at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150818024256 dot GF32742 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <20150818034443 dot GH32742 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <CAMe9rOqZmc9K_bEKqWZ6tkTE66OegyE0JMRef1xEf32hWCPPSg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150818160855 dot GK32742 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <CAMe9rOorDaT1YEf=FrGMnyZgOmAGwrBpTEMZtYROCXG=ioSLvQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150819005842 dot GN32742 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <20150819040011 dot GE20393 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAJimCsHW+WCdE8a8Tzjwe25MBCWpdznsH-mnMCAxQ0kMAR0avg at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 09:34:45PM -0700, Cary Coutant wrote:
> > This is OK to commit with a suitable ChangeLog. I think a separate ld
> > option is best too, because historically -static and its aliases
> > -Bstatic, -dn, -non_shared really are about what type of libraries are
> > accepted rather than choosing linker output type.
> Gold actually separates these concepts: -Bstatic/-dn and -Bdynamic/-dy
> are about what kinds of libraries to search for, while -static and
> -shared/-Bshareable/-G determine what kind of output to produce.
Does static pie (ET_DYN with non-fixed load address, _DYNAMIC
relocations, but no PT_INTERP, DT_NEEDEDs, or symbolic relocations)
currently work with gold? If so, what is the way to request it? I
would say it would make sense to try to do things the same, but from
what you're saying it sounds like gold already significantly
mismatches the bfd linker behavior...?