RETURN_ADDRESS_POINTER_REGNUM Macro

All:

>From the description of the definition of the macro RETURN_ADDRESS_POINTER_REGNUM , it is derived that this macro is used to
Define a register for the above macro that helps in getting the return address from the stack or frame pointer.

I could see many of the architectures supported by GCC does not define this macro.

Does this impact the performance or correctness of the compiler?  On what cases it is applicable to define for the given architecture?

Thanks & Regards
Ajit