Re: making the new if-converter not mangle IR that is already vectorizer-friendly

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 10:55 PM, Abe <abe_skolnik@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> does anybody reading this with a strong background in numerical/scientific
> computing have anything to comment on this?
>
> Predication of instructions can help to remove the burden of the conditional
> branch, but is not available on all relevant architectures.
> In some architectures that are typically implemented in modern high-speed
> processors -- i.e. with high core frequency, caches, speculative execution,
> etc. --
> there is not full support for predication [as there is, for example, in
> 32-bit ARM] but there _is_ support for "conditional move" [hereinafter
> "cmove"].
> If/when the ISA in question supports cmove to/from main memory, perhaps it
> would be profitable to use two cmoves back-to-back with opposite conditions
> and the same register [destination for load, source for store] to implement
> e.g. "temp = c ? X[x] : Y[y]" and/or "temp = C[c] ? X[x] : Y[y]" etc.
> Even without cmove to/from main memory, two cmoves back-to-back with
> opposite conditions could still be used, e.g. [not for a real-world ISA]:
>   load X[x] -> reg1
>   load Y[y] -> reg2
>   cmove   c  ? reg1 -> reg3
>   cmove (!c) ? reg2 -> reg3
>
> Or even better if the ISA can support something like:
>   load X[x] -> reg1
>   load Y[y] -> reg2
>   cmove (c ? reg1 : reg2) -> reg3
>
> However, this is a code-gen issue from my POV, and at the present time all
> the if-conversion work is occurring at the GIMPLE level.
> If anybody reading this knows how I could make the if converter generate
> GIMPLE that leads to code-gen that is better for at
> least one ISA and the change[s] do/does not negatively impact upon code-gen
> for any other ISA, I`d be glad to read about it.
>

>> Without -ftree-loop-if-convert-stores, if-conversion leaves this alone,
>> and vectorization fails  (i.e. the vectorizer
>
>> bails out because the loop has >2 basic blocks). With
>> -ftree-loop-if-convert-stores, if-conversion produces
> [snip]
>>
>> where I have commented the conditional loads that have become
>> unconditional.
>
>> (Hence, "-ftree-loop-if-convert-stores" looks misnamed - it affects how
>> the if-conversion phase converts loads,
>> too - please correct me if I misunderstand (Richard?) ?!) This contains no
>> control flow, and so is vectorizable.
> [snip]
>> (This is all without your scratchpad patch, of course.)
>
> I think the preceding is quite correct.
>
> Sebastian and I have discussed [at some length, on my part ;-)] what to do
> about the flags.  We definitely want them to change.
> We might wind up with a different number of flags, i.e. not just rename one
> or both of the two we currently have.
>
> Does anybody know of any large codebase that depends heavily on the current
> flags?
> AFAIK these have been infrequently-if-ever used so far in production code.

The GIMPLE level if-conversion code was purely written to make loops suitable
for vectorization.  It wasn't meant to provide if-conversion of scalar
code in the
end (even though it does).  We've discussed enabling the versioning path
unconditionally for example.

So if the new scheme with scratch-pads produces more "correct" code but
code that will known to fail vectorization then it's done at the wrong
place - because
the whole purpose of GIMPLE if-conversion is to enable more vectorization.

Richard.