This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Proposal for merging scalar-storage-order branch into mainline
- From: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at adacore dot com>
- To: Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 12:39:06 +0200
- Subject: Re: Proposal for merging scalar-storage-order branch into mainline
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <2354857 dot 0uXrE6NL1R at polaris> <CAFiYyc0fmZcb1SYm5NfObE-bL3T0Z0vs6yNraesAfH+jb90pHA at mail dot gmail dot com>
> What's the reason to not expose the byte swapping operations earlier, like
> on GIMPLE? (or even on GENERIC?)
That would be too heavy, every load and store in GENERIC/GIMPLE would have an
associated byte swapping operation, although you don't know if they will be
needed in the end. For example, if the structure is scalarized, they are not.
> What frontends are affected?
The branch contains a working implementation for the C and Ada front-ends, and
the beginning of an implementation for the C++ front-end.