This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Compilers and RCU readers: Once more unto the breach!
- From: "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>
- To: Richard Kenner <kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu>
- Cc: mingo at kernel dot org, akpm at linux-foundation dot org, c++std-parallel at accu dot org, dhowells at redhat dot com, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, linux-arch at vger dot kernel dot org, linux-kernel at vger dot kernel dot org, Mark dot Batty at cl dot cam dot ac dot uk, michaelw at ca dot ibm dot com, Peter dot Sewell at cl dot cam dot ac dot uk, peterz at infradead dot org, Ramana dot Radhakrishnan at arm dot com, torvalds at linux-foundation dot org, will dot deacon at arm dot com
- Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 06:11:26 -0700
- Subject: Re: Compilers and RCU readers: Once more unto the breach!
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150520024148 dot GD6776 at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com> <20150520114745 dot GC11498 at arm dot com> <20150520121522 dot GH6776 at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com> <20150520154617 dot GE11498 at arm dot com> <20150520181606 dot GT6776 at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com> <20150521192422 dot GC19204 at arm dot com> <20150521200212 dot GW6776 at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com> <CA+55aFxse3wTkfLMdotb+FO+_6EN32sseC0gpBaSnJ2KmbNUhQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150522064344 dot GA17518 at gmail dot com> <20150522104332 dot 5FBFF33CA8 at vlsi1 dot gnat dot com>
- Reply-to: paulmck at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com
On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 06:43:32AM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
> > (Assuming it's a goal of this standard to be human parseable to more
> > than a few dozen people on the planet.)
> Unfortunately, that's rarely a goal of most standards. ;-)
My experience does match Richard's, sad to say. There has been some
vigorous discussion in another thread involving undefined behavior and
value narrowing, which has resulted in some useful changes to Section 7.9.
The updated document is here: