This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Git-only namespace for vendor branches
- From: Maxim Kuvyrkov <maxim dot kuvyrkov at linaro dot org>
- To: Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>
- Cc: GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 14:49:58 +0300
- Subject: Git-only namespace for vendor branches
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
We at Linaro are moving fully to git, and will be using git-only branches in GCC's git mirror for Linaro's branches starting with gcc-5-branch. Everything would have been simple if we didn't have linaro/* namespace in SVN repo. I want to double-check with you (and anyone else skilled in GCC's git mirror) on the changes we plan to make to linaro branches in git mirror.
At the moment we have:
1. SVN repository has linaro/gcc-4_8-branch and linaro/gcc-4_9-branch. These will continue to live in SVN repo. It's fine to not have access to these branches from the git mirror.
2. Git repository has linaro-dev/* namespace with a couple of project branches in it: linaro-dev/sched-model-prefetch and linaro-dev/type-promotion-pass.
We want to get to:
1. Git repository has linaro/* namespace that hosts linaro/gcc-5-branch, linaro-dev/sched-model-prefetch and linaro-dev/type-promotion-pass.
2. Ideally, linaro/* namespace would also have branches linaro/gcc-4_8-branch and linaro/gcc-4_9-branch mirrored from SVN. My understanding is that git-svn will not cooperate on this one, so absence of these branches from Git mirror is OK.
My main question is whether it is OK to overlay git-only namespace on the same-named svn namespace?
I want to avoid having linaro/* namespace in SVN, and linaro-something namespace in git, especially since linaro/* SVN namespace does not appear in git mirror by default (you have to tell git to fetch non-default SVN branches to see it).