This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: AutoFDO profile toolchain is open-sourced
- From: Dehao Chen <dehao at google dot com>
- To: Ilya Palachev <i dot palachev at samsung dot com>
- Cc: Jan Hubicka <hubicka at ucw dot cz>, Diego Novillo <dnovillo at google dot com>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, David Li <davidxl at google dot com>, Sebastian Pop <sebpop at gmail dot com>, Vyacheslav Barinov <v dot barinov at samsung dot com>
- Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 09:46:44 -0700
- Subject: Re: AutoFDO profile toolchain is open-sourced
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAO2gOZWydpiBXb=1QDyCRt-ybDieqy8X4S_+uRZk2Y2v+cFdYQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <5523ED98 dot 8080007 at samsung dot com> <CAFk3UF8To5Qcz8NN5rUF3z6j8CCg_89A+62P=1U9YrtbZ5=mLg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150410203927 dot GA18980 at atrey dot karlin dot mff dot cuni dot cz> <552E1613 dot 2040405 at samsung dot com> <5536278E dot 3090706 at samsung dot com> <CAD_=9DQEqCqzyBKT8nZ1_uEt5gU589hSpLiOHUqLXKctJTaVHA at mail dot gmail dot com> <553653CA dot 9070009 at samsung dot com> <CAO2gOZXqxRAU5RTgXdgeamPpx3sNArCb=2ZJKDXTOoX6a-w3dw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150421155951 dot GB9659 at atrey dot karlin dot mff dot cuni dot cz> <CAO2gOZX6O8OK+-Qqy0k8xUJYSC=7ZBHMT5R1NLVeaid8dUHVVA at mail dot gmail dot com> <553E49AE dot 9060600 at samsung dot com>
On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 7:37 AM, Ilya Palachev <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On 21.04.2015 20:25, Dehao Chen wrote:
>> OTOH, the most important patch (insn-level discriminator support) is
>> not in yet. Cary has just retired. Do you know if anyone would be
>> interested in porting insn-level discriminator support to trunk?
> Do you mean r210338, r210397, r210523, r214745 ?
> Can you explain why these patches are important for autofdo?
Instruction level discriminator support is important to autofdo
because basic block level discriminator is not enough when
instructions are moved to other basic blocks by code motion.
Additionally, gcc backend optimization does not maintain BB level
discriminator well. We need to encode discriminator as part of LOC so
that once the discriminator is assigned to an IR, it will go all the
way to the codegen without being modified.
> What work should be done to port them to current 5 branch?
I think we just need to have these patches in. Or even better,
reimplement this the same way as my lexical block patch
> Do you expect them to be applied to 6 branch?
This should go into trunk and be there for all later gcc branches.