Re: AutoFDO profile toolchain is open-sourced

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Jan Hubicka <hubicka@ucw.cz> wrote:

> > > It converts with the attached patches, but there's still some problem
> > > parsing the data:
> > >
> > > % ./create_gcov  -binary loop -gcov_version 1 -gcov loop.gcda -gcov_version 0x500e
> > > % gcc50 -O2 -fprofile-use loop.c
> > > loop.c:1:0: warning: '/home/andi/src/autofdo/loop.gcda' is version ',
> > > expected version '500e'
> > > %
> >
> > You need to use -fauto-profile=loop.gcda instead of "-fprofile-use",
> > which is only for instrumentation based FDO.
>
> This is indeed not very intuitive. I wonder why it uses the same suffix suggesting
> that sample based and FDO based files are the same?

AutoFDO profile does not need to have any specific suffix. I'll update
the toolchain to make the default output profile as "fbdata.afdo"
instead of "fbdata.gcda".

> Would it be possible to at least have this well documented in invoke.texi and perhaps
> we can fix the warning above to say something like "loop.gcda is autofdo profile, use
> -fauto-profile instead of -fprofile-use"?

Sounds good to me. I will send a patch to update invoke.texi. Could
you help fix the warning for profile-use?

Thanks,
Dehao