Re: Re: [RFC] Documenting support functions and data structures

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015, Manuel LÃpez-IbÃÃez wrote:

> And yes, I would also be extremely happy if someone figured out a way to
> ensure the docs match the comments. We can probably automatically generate
> from the *.opt files most of invoke.texi and even the list of what enables
> what. But there are significant non-technical hurdles to achieve that (See
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/DocumentationOverviewIssues#Legal_and_Licensing_Issues).
> Should we say that no updates to invoke.texi are accepted until someone
> implements this automatic generation?

If you want some form of automatic generation, you should follow the
target.def/tm.texi approach (having both GPL and GFDL copies of the text
checked in with a manual review step on regeneration), and then CC a
docstring relicensing maintainer requesting docstring relicensing review
on each patch copying text from GPL to GFDL or vice versa.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com