Re: Questions about C as used/implemented in practice

> On Apr 17, 2015, at 9:14 AM, Peter Sewell <Peter.Sewell@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Dear gcc list,
>
> we are trying to clarify what behaviour of C implementations is
> actually relied upon in modern practice, and what behaviour is
> guaranteed by current mainstream implementations (these are quite
> different from the ISO standards, and may differ in different
> contexts).

Iâm not sure what you mean by âguaranteedâ.

I suspect what the GCC team will say is guaranteed is âwhat the standard saysâ.  If by âguaranteedâ you mean the behavior that happens to be implemented in a particular version of the compiler, that may well be different, as you said.  But itâs also not particularly meaningful, because it is subject to change at any time subject to the constraints of the standard, and is likely to be different among different versions, and for that matter among different target architectures and of course optimization settings.

	paul