Questions about C as used/implemented in practice

Dear gcc list,

we are trying to clarify what behaviour of C implementations is
actually relied upon in modern practice, and what behaviour is
guaranteed by current mainstream implementations (these are quite
different from the ISO standards, and may differ in different
contexts).

Focussing on the sequential behaviour of memory operations, we've
collected a short survey of 15 questions about C:

  http://goo.gl/iFhYIr

Your answers to these would be very helpful, especially if you can
speak authoritatively about what gcc does (it's difficult for us to
directly investigate the emergent properties of the combination of
optimisations in a production compiler).

This continues a research project at the University of Cambridge; in
earlier work (with Batty, Owens, and Sarkar) we addressed the C/C++11
concurrency model, which resulted in fixes to the ISO standards and
supports work on compiler testing (by Zappa Nardelli, Morisset, and
Pawan).

many thanks,
Kayvan Memarian and Peter Sewell