This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: GSoc-2015: Modular GCC
- From: Sidharth Chaturvedi <sidchat dot 04 at gmail dot com>
- To: Trevor Saunders <tbsaunde at tbsaunde dot org>
- Cc: gcc <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 00:21:58 +0530
- Subject: Re: GSoc-2015: Modular GCC
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAA_ASpVFs7LXS4Pw1Mxo5VCxtEncvYXjYgnULGoRAWnbM3PkYw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150305102955 dot GA31832 at tsaunders-iceball dot corp dot tor1 dot mozilla dot com>
I like the idea of making the intermediate representations more
streamable. But I think this task should also involve creating
separate front-end and middle-end modules, as then there can be a
clear distinction of what IR is an input to a module and what IR is
output from a module(including a more specific structure to each IR).
This would give a pipeline structure to GCC. I don't know how much of
this can be achieved via GSoc, but I would still like to give it a
try. Any interested mentors? Thanks.
On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Trevor Saunders <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 12:43:49AM +0530, Sidharth Chaturvedi wrote:
>> I came across this page while browsing through ideas for GSoc-2015:
>> I like the overall task, but it seems somewhat overambitious. I wanted
>> to verify if this is still a desirable architectural goal (as the last
>> update on this page was around 3 years ago). Also, how feasible is
>> this for GSoc?
> I'd say it is desirable, various people are working on various bits of
> it, and hopefully some of them will add there $0.02. I would agree
> doing everything on that page is completely unrealistic. I'd encourage
> you to pick a sub area you'd be interested in and see if someone wants
> to mentor that. Personally I'd really like to see someone take up
> making intermediate representations more machine streamable. There's
> already machinary to print most data, but its not in a machine readable
>> Sidharth Chaturvedi