This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: need help with Pointer Bounds Checking documentation
- From: Sandra Loosemore <sandra at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Ilya Enkovich <enkovich dot gnu at gmail dot com>
- Cc: GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at pfeifer dot com>, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:58:09 -0700
- Subject: Re: need help with Pointer Bounds Checking documentation
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <54E68470 dot 90700 at codesourcery dot com> <CAMbmDYYoshG0-Lx6MOobAZyR1CMaSGwQxU_xmZxXrUyCcepyPA at mail dot gmail dot com> <54E76349 dot 7050508 at codesourcery dot com> <CAMbmDYZ9wRaZdS7Dy-QpNpjiuxTdi6pWSBbgNrW+m5kxMjXfEw at mail dot gmail dot com> <54ECAB15 dot 90807 at codesourcery dot com> <CAMbmDYZFUGpfGoR+Ri3rpLf82ORm27d2w_r5_--K-cwArFjZOw at mail dot gmail dot com> <54EDF54F dot 4040401 at codesourcery dot com> <CAMbmDYYxjn+kCtNzKZuCQmVZwuhHHmabXgGhsvcBnsDz2C9VCg at mail dot gmail dot com>
On 02/25/2015 09:47 AM, Ilya Enkovich wrote:
2015-02-25 19:16 GMT+03:00 Sandra Loosemore <firstname.lastname@example.org>:
On 02/25/2015 12:56 AM, Ilya Enkovich wrote:
2015-02-24 19:47 GMT+03:00 Sandra Loosemore <email@example.com>:
Poking around, I see that the -fcheck-pointer-bounds and various -fchkp-*
options are listed in c-family/c.opt, but they are not listed in the GCC
manual. The section on intrinsics is not enough, by itself, to tell
how to use this feature. Can we please try to get in the documentation
the options that have been implemented so far? That's a requirement of
GCC coding conventions.
I see Joseph already brought up the issue of missing documentation back
But I cannot find any proposed documentation patch for these options
Here it is: https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-11/msg03010.html
From that thread, it looks like Jeff Law already approved the code changes
in the patch. Were you waiting for a documentation maintainer to approve
the new documentation before committing it? I can see that it needs
copy-editing and am willing to help with that, but I'd rather not mix that
up in the same patch with code changes I don't know how to test. Or were
the bundled code changes withdrawn for some reason? I think it's important
that the already-committed new command-line options be documented, so we
need to separate that out if necessary and get it checked in.
Patch is a part of a series which is waiting for additional steering
committee approval due to copyright and a license.
I don't imagine the documentation for *features already committed* needs
to wait for steering committee approval; per the GCC coding standards,
it should have been checked in at the same time as the features
themselves. Can you please split that out from the rest of the patch
series so we can get it in?