Re: Obscure crashes due to gcc 4.9 -O2 => -fisolate-erroneous-paths-dereference

On 02/20/2015 06:01 PM, Jeff Law wrote:

> But that's always true -- this isn't any different than aliasing,
> arithmetic overflow, etc.  The standards define the contract between the
> compiler/library implementors and the developers.  Once the contract is
> broken, all bets are off.

What I don't like about this case (std::vector<T>::data() returning
nullptr vs memcpy/memcmp/qsort non-null assertions) is that it is
internally non-composing in a totally non-obvious way.  data() is
explicitly intended to cover interoperability with these older C
functions, and it fails.

But you are right about overflows.  I think we should give up and just
enable -fwrapv by default in Fedora and downstream.  This issue has been
explicitly documented since 2002 at least (explicitly with
security-related checks in mind), and programmers still write overflow
checks which are only correct with -fwrapv, and it passes code review.
I fear that's not going to change, ever.