This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: need help with Pointer Bounds Checking documentation
- From: Ilya Enkovich <enkovich dot gnu at gmail dot com>
- To: Sandra Loosemore <sandra at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: Ilya Enkovich <ilya dot enkovich at intel dot com>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 11:12:09 +0300
- Subject: Re: need help with Pointer Bounds Checking documentation
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <54E68470 dot 90700 at codesourcery dot com>
2015-02-20 3:48 GMT+03:00 Sandra Loosemore <email@example.com>:
> The section "Pointer Bounds Checker builtins" in extend.texi is on my list
> for being in need of copy-editing, but reading through the existing text, I
> am quite confused. In several places it refers to turning the Pointer
> Bounds Checker off, but how do you do that? I don't see any documented
> command-line option.
Pointer Bounds Checker is off by default. Patch adding options
documentation is a part of reviewed libmpx patch series which is
waiting for steering committee approval. I didn't want to commit
documentation separately because it has references to features not yet
committed to trunk. Meanwhile it is available on Wiki:
> It looks like the commit that added this feature (r217125) included a lot of
> x86-specific stuff. Is this whole feature specific to x86? If so, the
> documentation ought to say that. What is the relation of this feature to
> the -mmpx x86 option, which was added in the same commit? That option does
> have documentation in invoke.texi but nothing that suggests it's related to
> Pointer Bounds Checking.
Pointer Bounds Checker is a target independent feature but currently
it is supported only for x86 targets with MPX support.
> -Sandra the clueless