This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Rename C files to .c in GCC source
- From: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely dot gcc at gmail dot com>
- To: Jonny Grant <jg at jguk dot org>
- Cc: "Kevin Ingwersen (Ingwie Phoenix)" <ingwie2000 at googlemail dot com>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu dot org>, DJ Delorie <dj at redhat dot com>, Andrew Pinski <pinskia at gmail dot com>, "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 18:10:18 +0000
- Subject: Re: Rename C files to .c in GCC source
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAGc9EveH8c7WfQPmDEjrCpSOmxabAECGRBC8T8NUiHbSz2QNmw at mail dot gmail dot com> <EE340ECC-F8A5-49B5-9C83-CD616BC1DDAF at gmail dot com> <xnlhkkx80o dot fsf at greed dot delorie dot com> <CAH6eHdTkWCa4vK=HVVaJaa1dihs4gdjX+u87Q_GO358752Tjkw at mail dot gmail dot com> <83bnldipfo dot fsf at gnu dot org> <2566D022-F1C4-48CE-BA29-92F120D1F758 at googlemail dot com> <54CFE7FC dot 5070102 at jguk dot org> <CAH6eHdQP8i1L5sEsGzy4fO1tpK0CJht_Tt2rkfJrVYQw4mUgDg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAGc9EvfzSZ3ucjS9PvSFyHEtZfgNYt3_fjwR00tEhPoXVE+3EA at mail dot gmail dot com>
On 16 February 2015 at 17:45, Jonny Grant wrote:
> While I remember:
> Stroustrup lists C++ extensions as .cxx and .cpp
> ISO sample sources use .cpp:
> .C in GCC sources was the only place I've ever seen it.
The first edition of TCPPPL just uses .c for C++ source files ("Files
containing function or data definitions must be suffixed by .c" p107)
but the recent 4th edition lists several conventions, including .C,
and it's also listed in the official C++ FAQ
originated at http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq/src-file-ext.html)
Renaming them would be a lot of churn for no great benefit, and it
doesn't seem as though any of the people asking for a change are the
people who actually work with the files day in day out.