This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Rename C files to .c in GCC source
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Jonny Grant <jg at jguk dot org>
- Cc: Andrew Pinski <pinskia at gmail dot com>, "Kevin Ingwersen (Ingwie Phoenix)" <ingwie2000 at googlemail dot com>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu dot org>, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely dot gcc at gmail dot com>, DJ Delorie <dj at redhat dot com>, GCC Mailing List <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 23:24:19 +0000
- Subject: Re: Rename C files to .c in GCC source
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAGc9EveH8c7WfQPmDEjrCpSOmxabAECGRBC8T8NUiHbSz2QNmw at mail dot gmail dot com> <EE340ECC-F8A5-49B5-9C83-CD616BC1DDAF at gmail dot com> <xnlhkkx80o dot fsf at greed dot delorie dot com> <CAH6eHdTkWCa4vK=HVVaJaa1dihs4gdjX+u87Q_GO358752Tjkw at mail dot gmail dot com> <83bnldipfo dot fsf at gnu dot org> <2566D022-F1C4-48CE-BA29-92F120D1F758 at googlemail dot com> <54CFE7FC dot 5070102 at jguk dot org> <CA+=Sn1mNVvyacB0ZnHw7HJ9W-ntMARzSxS8QAik=R=K_79-vzA at mail dot gmail dot com> <54D151E3 dot 5000203 at jguk dot org>
On Tue, 3 Feb 2015, Jonny Grant wrote:
> > There are around 11k files that have the .C ending to them; all in the
> > testsuite. I don't think it make sense to move them.
> How many minutes labor is this task?
It's desirable for test names to be stable so that results can be compared
over time, which means a presumption that renaming an existing testcase is
bad unless the name is really, really confusing (a pair testname-1.c and
testname_1.c might count as confusing, but not test.C unless there's
another very similar test in the same directory, in which case the "test"
part would need changing).
Joseph S. Myers