Re: Rename C files to .c in GCC source

On 02/02/15 21:18, Andrew Pinski wrote:
On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Jonny Grant <jg@jguk.org> wrote:

On 01/02/15 16:34, Kevin Ingwersen (Ingwie Phoenix) wrote:

Am 01.02.2015 um 17:09 schrieb Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 01:55:29 +0000
From: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>
Cc: Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com>, "gcc@gcc.gnu.org"
<gcc@gcc.gnu.org>, Jonny Grant <jg@jguk.org>

These files are only compiled by GCC's own build system, with GCC's
own makefiles, so we know we invoke the C++ compiler and so the
language isn't inferred from the file extension, and so we aren't
relying on case-sensitive file systems.

That is true for building GCC.  But what about editors and other
development tools?  They _will_ be affected.

Indeed. Atom keeps thinking .C is an actual âANSI Câ thing. If I were to
make a suggestion to the GCC devâs, then I probably could also swiftly word
it as:

$ find gcc-src -name "*.Câ | while read f; do mv $f $(echo $f | sed
's/\.C/\.cxx/gâ); done

In other words; .cxx, .cpp or .cc seems like a solution that works across
platforms. Since .cc is already used at some places, I would recommend that
this is to be the extension to choose.

One does not neccessarily need to make a dev apply hacks all over just to
start development.

Hello

Is this a consensus agreement to rename those .C -> .cc ?

There are around 11k files that have the .C ending to them; all in the
testsuite.  I don't think it make sense to move them.

How many minutes labor is this task?

Regards, Jonny