This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Rename C files to .c in GCC source
- From: Jonny Grant <jg at jguk dot org>
- To: "Kevin Ingwersen (Ingwie Phoenix)" <ingwie2000 at googlemail dot com>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu dot org>
- Cc: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely dot gcc at gmail dot com>, dj at redhat dot com, pinskia at gmail dot com, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 21:11:24 +0000
- Subject: Re: Rename C files to .c in GCC source
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAGc9EveH8c7WfQPmDEjrCpSOmxabAECGRBC8T8NUiHbSz2QNmw at mail dot gmail dot com> <EE340ECC-F8A5-49B5-9C83-CD616BC1DDAF at gmail dot com> <xnlhkkx80o dot fsf at greed dot delorie dot com> <CAH6eHdTkWCa4vK=HVVaJaa1dihs4gdjX+u87Q_GO358752Tjkw at mail dot gmail dot com> <83bnldipfo dot fsf at gnu dot org> <2566D022-F1C4-48CE-BA29-92F120D1F758 at googlemail dot com>
On 01/02/15 16:34, Kevin Ingwersen (Ingwie Phoenix) wrote:
Am 01.02.2015 um 17:09 schrieb Eli Zaretskii <email@example.com>:
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 01:55:29 +0000
From: Jonathan Wakely <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Cc: Andrew Pinski <email@example.com>, "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>, Jonny Grant <firstname.lastname@example.org>
These files are only compiled by GCC's own build system, with GCC's
own makefiles, so we know we invoke the C++ compiler and so the
language isn't inferred from the file extension, and so we aren't
relying on case-sensitive file systems.
That is true for building GCC. But what about editors and other
development tools? They _will_ be affected.
Indeed. Atom keeps thinking .C is an actual âANSI Câ thing. If I were to make a suggestion to the GCC devâs, then I probably could also swiftly word it as:
$ find gcc-src -name "*.Câ | while read f; do mv $f $(echo $f | sed 's/\.C/\.cxx/gâ); done
In other words; .cxx, .cpp or .cc seems like a solution that works across platforms. Since .cc is already used at some places, I would recommend that this is to be the extension to choose.
One does not neccessarily need to make a dev apply hacks all over just to start development.
Is this a consensus agreement to rename those .C -> .cc ?