Re: Why is floor() only compiled to roundsd when using -funsafe-math-optimizations?

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015, Tobias Burnus wrote:

> I first want to point to POSIX, which has:
>
> "floor, floorf, floorl - floor function" [...]
> "An application wishing to check for error situations should set errno to
>  zero and call feclearexcept(FE_ALL_EXCEPT) before calling  these  functions.
>  On  return,  if  errno  is  non-zero  or  fetestexcept(FE_INVALID |
>  FE_DIVBYZERO | FE_OVERFLOW | FE_UNDERFLOW) is non-zero, an error has occurred."
>
> No one seems to care about the "errno" handling (and prefers to use the
> trapping information directly), thus, I wouldn't be surprised if most
> libc do not set errno.

That is because the error conditions that POSIX allows simply can't happen
with the IEEE float formats that are in use.  From the glibc manpage for
floor:

  NOTES
       SUSv2 and POSIX.1-2001 contain text about  overflow  (which  might  set
       errno  to ERANGE, or raise an FE_OVERFLOW exception).  In practice, the
       result cannot overflow on any current machine, so  this  error-handling
       stuff is just nonsense.  (More precisely, overflow can happen only when
       the maximum value of the exponent is smaller than the  number  of  man-
       tissa bits.  For the IEEE-754 standard 32-bit and 64-bit floating-point
       numbers the maximum value of the exponent is 128 (respectively,  1024),
       and the number of mantissa bits is 24 (respectively, 53).)

Hence, GCC guarding the transformation is simply a bit too cautious.

Ciao,
Michael.