This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [patch, build] Restore bootstrap in building libcc1 on darwin
- From: Iain Sandoe <iain at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Rainer Orth <ro at CeBiTec dot Uni-Bielefeld dot DE>
- Cc: FX <fxcoudert at gmail dot com>, gcc-patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:19:14 +0000
- Subject: Re: [patch, build] Restore bootstrap in building libcc1 on darwin
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <94381BB6-563C-44EE-910E-9569410F2AB5 at gmail dot com> <C3BC6494-0362-4AFC-9F1D-E456B6D9A471 at gmail dot com> <F510F911-EA66-4CA8-A43D-92CF538E50F4 at gmail dot com> <ydd388vczh8 dot fsf at lokon dot CeBiTec dot Uni-Bielefeld dot DE> <659E2BE7-2692-4023-9BD2-CE131F8B5451 at codesourcery dot com> <0EB3ED59-3AB7-4EF5-94F3-AFFEB0DAD812 at gmail dot com> <ydd61btmxzc dot fsf at lokon dot CeBiTec dot Uni-Bielefeld dot DE>
On 26 Jan 2015, at 14:13, Rainer Orth wrote:
> FX <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
>>> The default BOOT_CFLAGS are: -O2 -g -mdynamic-no-pic
>>> the libiberty pic build appends: -fno-common (and not even -fPIC) [NB
>>> -fPIC _won't_ override -mdynamic-no-pic, so that's not a simple way out]
>>> This means that the PIC library is being built with non-pic relocs.
>> config/mh-darwin says that -mdynamic-no-pic is there because it “speeds
>> compiles by 3-5%”. I don’t think we care about speed when the bootstrap
>> fails, so can we remove it altogether?
> Darwin/i686 still doesn't bootstrap without this patch, I believe.
> Shouldn't it be applied to trunk before GCC 5 ships, rather than leaving
> that target broken?
I'll try and post a patch to fix it properly this week..