Re: [ping] Re: proper name of i386/x86-64/etc targets

On 01/20/2015 12:21 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Sandra Loosemore
<sandra@codesourcery.com> wrote:

Ummm, this seems like an inconsistent position.  "32-bit x86" isn't even a
new name; it's a restricting adjective "32-bit" on the existing name "x86".
But "x86-32" isn't an existing real name for anything, as far as I can tell.

"x86-32" is mentioned in

http://www.lyberty.com/tech/terms/x86_WHAT-IS_.html
http://superuser.com/questions/186503/is-x86-32-bit-or-64-bit
https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/what-does-x64-and-x86-mean.674631/

I wouldn't consider random blog or forum postings to be reliable sources. Can you cite manufacturer/vendor literature, technical reports, or news articles using that term?

FWIW, when I'm reviewing BSPs and associated documentation for
Mentor's own products, I always check the manufacturer's web site and verify that we use the name exactly as it appears in their own marketing literature and/or data sheets. Wikipedia's standards for naming are a little different.... they prefer to use the most common and familiar name for things.

-Sandra